Health Insurance and COVID-19: What the Insurance Companies Are Doing
Insurance companies are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic by expanding access to medical resources and services required to prevent and treat the disease. Here are examples of what the companies are doing:
· Waiving member cost-sharing (copays, coinsurance, and deductibles) for COVID-19 lab testing and related provider visits along with inpatient treatment.
· Increasing access to telehealth services to expand remote access of patients to health care providers. See my blog on telehealth
· Enhancing ability to remotely access mental and behavioral health resources, including stress management.
· Making use of remote and self-administered diagnostic tools.
· Allowing members to renew prescriptions earlier than the normal renewal schedule.
· Specialized customer service staff to address COVID-related questions.
Look for communications from your health insurance company, your employer and public health organizations to find out which benefits are available to you and how to access them.
In order to provide my clients the full range of options, I am an independent broker representing the major insurance companies in Colorado. I do not charge clients for my brokering work. I seek first to understand you and your needs, and then to help you decide among available insurance solutions.